01 02 03 Beth's Beauty Blog: Why I Quit University 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Why I Quit University

34
University is not something that I thought about before I went to college, it's not something that I ever considered doing. I didn't really have a clue what I wanted to do and where I wanted to be. Teaching is something that I thought I would enjoy and honestly, if I wasn't doing teaching I didn't have a clue what I would have been doing. 

But what if you get to university and you change your mind? You still don't have a clue what you want to do and you're not enjoying it at all. Everyone I spoke to said that university is the best time of your life and I would really regret it if I didn't go but no one had mentioned anything about what to do if I didn't enjoy it. And this is exactly what happened to me. I really didn't enjoy my course, I would find myself missing lectures all the time just because I didn't like the modules we were studying, I wouldn't put as much effort into the assignments as I knew I should've been and I knew I was just wasting my time being there. 

I thought about quitting a lot throughout the whole year but by the time I finally decided that I was definitely going to quit, it was about February/March time and I knew I only had a couple of modules left. So I completed my first year on the course I was doing and just didn't re-enrol to carry on to second year. I had no clue what I was going to do but honestly, dropping out of university is not the worst thing in the world. If anything, I am so much happier now than I was studying that course. I had a lot more time to decide what I really wanted to do so I started working part time as well as looking into different university courses that I think would be better suited to me.  

My advice for anything who feels that they are in a similar situation to me is that if you are not 100% sure about what career you want to go into, don't go to university. It's always going to be there and you can apply to study at any age so I would say really give yourself some time to decide what it is that you want to do. I think that university is great for people who know exactly what it is that they want to do and know what they need to do to get there, but for people like me who aren't 100% sure, give yourself time to really consider it. 

Also, if you are at university and considering quitting, speak to one of your tutors about it or somebody at your university's student services who can give you advice. They can talk you through whether there is a different course that may be better suited to what you want to do or what some other options would be. Also, talk to your parents! I spoke to my parents as soon as I thought about quitting and they were so supportive and it just gives you someone else to talk to about what it is that you want to do. Speak to as many people as you can about it because people such as parents, friends and tutors just want the best for you and want you to be doing something that will get you to where you want to be in the future. 

I hope that this post has helped anyone who is considering dropping out university or who is having second thoughts about actually going and if you want to ask me anything, feel free to comment down below or message me on twitter (BethCarney_x). This post is not me saying that everyone should drop out of university but if you are considering it, it's not the worst thing in the world that could happen and there are options for what you can do next. 
Beth X

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38